Monday, June 6, 2016

A Recent Acquistion


Hello all! I recently acquired a bentwood cafe chair from a local thrift store and decided to document how I would go about repairing and refurbishing it to use on a daily basis. Although I am a professional woodworker and furniture maker, I am not formally trained in the art of furniture restoration nor do I claim that this documentation is period correct. Also, there are many ways in which to restore a chair such as this so I am going to show you one way to approach this project. Now that we have that out of the way, I would like to share with you my journey on tackling the fun task of giving this beautiful chair a new lease on life.

I suspect that the chair is most likely a Michael Thonet chair but there is no definitive proof based on what I know and have briefly researched on the topic as of today. As we go into more detail on how I will inspect and repair this chair, I will take note of and share any discoveries that may shed more light on the origins of this chair. Thanks for joining me on this new project and I hope that we can both learn more about woodworking together!